How to get a Green Card?

Over the years, families living in the United States of America, conduct filing procedures for their family members in order to have them get permanent residency in the United States. In order for foreign relatives to move to the United States permanently, they need to apply for what is called a Green Card, which will give them the right to live and work within the country.

Family-based green card is one of the most common ways to immigrate to the United States. However, there are other ways to become a U.S. lawful permanent resident which are described on website. In order for a U.S. family member to sponsor his or her spouse, children, mother, father and older or younger siblings, he or she has to be a U.S. citizen or a U.S. lawful permanent resident to start the immigration process and help his or her family members obtain their green cards and become U.S. lawful permanent residents. If you are the spouse of a U.S. citizen (husband or wife), if you are the parent of a U.S. citizen (if the citizen is 21 years and older) and if you are the child of a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a green card through a U.S. citizen family member.

In sponsoring your family member to become a U.S. lawful permanent resident, the U.S. family member needs to file a family visa petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In addition, a U.S. family member has to submit an Affidavit of Support to show his or her willingness to sponsor the immigrant in the United States. This is also done through the USCIS. Once that has been done, the USCIS will send the U.S. citizen confirmation receipt and then it will go through the National Visa Center (NVC).

Once the National Visa Center has processed the information, a visa number is produced. Due to the large amount of people filing for their loved ones, there is a limit on the amount of the immigrant visas issued per year. This is where the number comes into play. Once the number is produced, the National Visa Center will contact the U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident who filed a family petition on behalf of his or her foreign relative. The U.S. citizen or U.S. lawful permanent resident in turn will contact his or her spouse or other relative who he or she is petitioning for and have the relative apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. embassy in the relative’s home country. On the other hand if the applicant is already in the U.S., he or she does not need to return to his or her home country in order to complete the immigration process. The applicant can change the status of his or her visa from nonimmigrant to a permanent resident status in the United States. Therefore in doing that, the relative then will have the ability to stay within the country until the process is completed instead of going back to his or her country to have that done.

Learn how to apply for a renew green card at website.

This entry was posted in Legal. Bookmark the permalink.